Qt SVG renderer

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Mon Aug 4 22:18:43 BST 2008

On Monday 04 August 2008, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 04 August 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> > > And wouldn't that add some benefits like reduced SVG filesize and
> >
> > Be careful not to throw away information that the artists use to edit
> > the file.
> >
> > It's all and well to do a garbage collection, but not to make the
> > file impossible to edit later.
>
> I don't see the problem. If the clean-up can be performed by a script
> then it can easily be done when the packages for distribution are
> created. When we create tarballs of our source code we also throw away
> some files that are only necessary for the developers working with SVN,
> but not for just building the binaries (or at least we did so in the
> past when we still used autofoo+configure). Moreover, the distributors
> all the time create packages of files that are impossible to edit. But
> that's no problem because the creation of the binaries does not make
> the source code files vanish. And then there are the translation
> files...
>
> IOW, almost anything we edit is later converted (by us or the
> distributors) to something one cannot edit anymore. So why not do the
> same for the SVGs?
>

> Regards,
> Ingo

If you are interested, I have a command line Qt program that does this kind of
filtering/optimization. It managed to cut a good chunk off the svg icons file.
Once compressed, the svg files are probably 10-20% smaller than the
original... although the uncompressed svgs are typically much smaller, so the
parsing should be quicker. I tink it made some difference in kgoldrunner
backgrounds loading, although we considered it would make it harder for
potential contributors to reuse the graphics. Plus, with the new pixmap cache
code in kgoldrunner it was not so important anymore...

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro //
                \X/ mikelima at cirulla.net