Qt SVG renderer

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Aug 2 02:25:05 BST 2008

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:

>>> What's with all the icons that have "junk" behind them? Is that extra
>>> stuff in the svg (that could, and probably should, be deleted), or how
>>> is Qt managing to munge those?
>>
>> That's what I'm most alarmed about. How did that junk appear?
>>
>> Are those things in the SVG files? If they are, it's like Microsoft
>> Word keeping old revisions when you publish a .doc.
>
> I suspect they're really there, but I was/am (ahem) hoping that one of
> the artists that's familiar with the icons will comment. Otherwise I
> will probably try to dig out one of the offending files and take a look.

I have worked with only a few Oxygen SVG icons and I have found junk in
all of them.  There are several types of junk:

1.	Junk that can be removed with InkScape by a simple:

	File -> Save
	File -> Vacuum Defs
	File -> Save

	Yes, what is removed here is like MS-Word.

2.	Meta-data that can be removed by a final save as a "Compressed
	Plain SVG"

3.	Invalid outlines that have only 2 points.  I don't know where
	these come from, but they can be found by stepping through the
	outlines in InkScape.

4.	There may be unused objects which have been moved to the back.

5.	Objects that are not really needed -- that represent too much
	complexity.

Compare the attached files.  I see no difference in them even when
displayed very large (compared to icon sizes).

--
JRT