Reducing library dependancies

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Aug 1 20:50:22 BST 2008

John Tapsell wrote:
>2008/8/1 Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org>:
>> You could just use the linker flag --as-needed.
>
>So.... should this be put in for the whole KDE build?  It sounds like
>a simple fix to speed up loading time of all kde apps.. what's the
>catch? :)

No, because it has side-effects.

I don't remember the exact details of why it happened in KDE 3, but it
did. That's why the flag was not enabled by default (a simple switch to
configure would enable it).

Maybe we're cleaner now in KDE 4 and it would work. Try it in your build
and let us know.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358