GLib/GObject+C as the lingua franca?

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Fri Aug 1 15:58:13 BST 2008

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi Norbert,
>
> On Wednesday 30 July 2008, nf2 wrote:
>
>> Will the refcounter be inside QObject or inside the pointer-holding class?
>>
>> Because in the latter case you would loose the refcount as soon as you
>> just pass the pointer to a function or try to cast the pointer:
>>
>> QRefCountedPointer<A> a = new A();
>>
>> call_some_function(a.p);
>>
>> or
>>
>> QRefCountedPointer<B> = dynamic_cast<B*> a.p;
>>

> I didn't really follow the thread and actually I don't know whether I like
> what you want to do or not.

I'm not that sure whether what i'm proposing is good or bad either.
Maybe it's good to keep things separate and just have fd.o standards on
file-formats or D-Bus interfaces. Maybe that's not sufficient. Should
there be a kind or "winapi" for the freedesktop platform? Dunno. It's
still exciting trying to find out how things could fit together.

> But, I find it really cool that you are very persistently working on these
> things and actually also get results :-)

I'm not sure about the results ;-). I tried lot's of things (vio,
libfusi, xdg-vfs) that never got anywhere. Why did i pick the VFS as my
favorite topic? Maybe because i think it's symptomatic for the problems
of the free desktops. Actually my first "contact" with this stuff were
those annoying "unmount - device is busy" messages and i wanted to find
out why this sucks so much...

Years ago i tried to get the GLib main loop into Qt by writing a really
terrible prototype. I don't know whether this has inspired TT, or if
they already planned to do this earlier. What i learned is that one
actually has to write code when trying to convince people. Although my
C++ and C is still quite clumsy...

> Alex
>
> P.S. will you be at Akademy ?

I'd love to. But unfortunately i don't have time this year.

Cheers,
Norbert