Reducing library dependancies

John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 14:40:10 BST 2008

Hi all,

  I have found that the more libraries a program links against, the
slower the start up time.  This is obvious, but it was surprising just
how big this effect can be.

  It would be good to go through all the kde apps and make sure we
don't link against unnecesary libraries anywhere.

  Does anyone know how to get a list of libraries that a program links
against but doesn't actually use?  I've been playing about with  'ldd
-u'  to list 'unused direct dependancies' but this doesn't seem to
produce sensible answers at all.  (For example it's telling me that
ksysguard doesn't need to link against any Qt or KDE programs!)

  Any ideas?

Thanks!

John Tapsell