KDED Modules and their DBus Path

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Mon Apr 28 20:12:18 BST 2008

On Monday 21 April 2008 23:15:21 David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 21 April 2008, Michael Jansen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a comment on the kded modules and a problem i see. Probably it's
> > only in my imagination so i put it up here for comments.
> >
> > I'm no dbus expert so forgive the most probably wrong wording :-) .
> >
> > Currently those modules put up their interface under
> > org.kde.kded/modules/<modulename> . I think that's not optimal.
> >
> > Beeing a kded module is an implementation detail that is exposed to the
> > world by that usage. Whenever we have to change a module back to a
> > standalone daemon we have a problem. Shouldn't kded modules register
> > their Interface under org.kde.<module> if they provide an non trivial api
> > for scripters?
>
> You can -also- register those daemons under that name; the dbus
> registration is not unique per-process. Just register khotkeys (since I
> guess this is what this is about :) as org.kde.khotkeys in the khotkeys
> code (independently from the automatic registration of the kded module).

OK. I have seen that this is what kwallet does. But i don't like how that
plays out:

[ bash : 1001 ] $ qdbus org.kde.kwalletd
/
/KDebug
/KIO
/KIO/Scheduler
/KdedGlobalAccel
/MainApplication
/kbuildsycoca
/kded
/modules
/modules/favicons
/modules/kcookiejar
/modules/kdedglobalaccel
/modules/kpasswdserver
/modules/ktimezoned
/modules/kwalletd
/modules/networkstatus

That's kded registered under another name. I would have expected to see the
object /modules/kwalletd here. At least only kwallet related stuff.

I was unable to think about a way to achieve that. Is it possible? I only see
registerService("<service>") taking no object to associate with.
registerObject("") takes a object but only a path.

Mike

--
Michael Jansen
Available for contract work ( Development / Configuration Management )