KAppTemplate in kdereview

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Mon Apr 28 15:23:17 BST 2008

Hi,

KApptemplate was a bash script in kdesdk to generate a few KDE projects in
order to let people get easily started in KDE programming.
I ported it to KDE 4 and the feedback I got since then was that people had
trouble getting aware of it but liked it. I thus made it a GUI app so it has
a proper entry in the K menu.
I rewrote it totally that's why I prefered it to go through kdereview.

- it's based on QWizard
- the templates notation is totally compatible with KDevelop so it will find
KDevelop templates if installed and vice versa (I'll work with the KDevelop
team to ensure that, I already maintained some templates in KDevelop 3.4)
- currently it generates a Qt4 GUI, KDE 4 (XMLGuiWindow and KConfig XT), KDE 4
KPart, Ruby KDE, PyQT4 and PyKDE4 and a plasmoid (applet) templates.
- once the project is generated, the user is on his own, a README in each
project will get him started easily (how to build the project, links to docs)
- it has a proper doc
- the GUI design of the pages can probably be improved
- it lacks an icon

The kdesdk module maintainer is OK for KAppTemplate to be moved after the 2
weeks stay in kdereview if no important matter arises.

I'll be away from 1st to 5th May so if anything happens at that time I'll fix
it after the 5th.

Thanks in advance for your review,

Anne-Marie