[rfc] Should we "block" bugreports for the latest stable releases of KDE apps?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Apr 24 18:09:02 BST 2008

On Thursday 24 April 2008, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Hi,
> there's the following warning on https://bugs.kde.org/wizard.cgi
>
> "You are not using a recent KDE version.  Since your bug is likely to be fixed
> already in more recent versions of KDE you can no longer submit bugs against
> your version of KDE. If possible, please update your KDE version and see
> whether the problem persists. If it does, please re-submit your bug with the
> new KDE version. You can download updated KDE versions from the  KDE Web Site
> or one of the many mirror sites. You can also check the homepage of your
> operating system or distribution's vendor to see if there are customized KDE
> versions available for your system."
>
> This is obviously good for KDE (desktop) itself, but not for apps with
> different release schedules.
>
> I propose to:
> 1. Change the last item of KDE version to "Any version older than 3.5.8"
> 2. Add this sentence:
> "If you use KDE older than 3.5.8 and claim that the bug may be independent of
> KDE version, please select 3.5.8 version below."

Everyone will select this, so this would make the whole check useless.

A user cannot honestly say that the bug is independent of the KDE version, he would
need to test it with more than one version to know that ;)
How can he know which functionality comes from kdelibs and which functionality
comes from the app code itself? That's impossible.

But maybe we can allow kdelibs-3.5.[678] for non-kdelibs/kdebase bugs, I don't
think that a lot of stuff has changed for apps in the last bugfix releases. I just don't
want to see kde-3.1 bugs coming via the loopholes you suggest :)