KIO::UndoManager? (Re: KDE 4.1 Soft Feature Freeze in Effect)

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Tue Apr 22 14:11:36 BST 2008

On Monday 21 April 2008 17:26:19 David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 21 April 2008, Allen Winter wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > According to our KDE 4.1 Release Schedule [1] we are now in a Soft
> > Feature Freeze.
> >
> > New features listed on the Feature Plan [2] can be committed to trunk for
> > 4.1 Anything not listed on the Feature Plan must be delayed until the 4.2
> > release.
>
> Not sure if it's really a new feature since the code exists, but I missed
> the above deadline for asking whether
> kdebase/apps/lib/konq/konq_fileundomanager* could move to kdelibs/kio/kio,
> as KIO::UndoManager. This is based on request from Fredrikh so that I can
> also move the dropping-files-onto-a-directory code from libkonq to
> KDirModel, so that he can benefit from that feature in his new plasma thing
> for desktop icons (is this enabled already btw?)
>
> I was thinking about moving that class for a long time (and added to the
> "classes that are candidate for moving to kdelibs" wiki page long ago),
> since providing undo support for KIO file operations could be useful in
> many places I think - not only dolphin/konq and the desktop, but probably
> in many applications which have some sort of file-management features
> (kdevelop? image viewers? etc.). Anyone interested? (although technically
> we have 2 users for this code already).
>
> Please review kdebase/apps/lib/konq/konq_fileundomanager* for kdelibs
> inclusion. It doesn't use QUndoStack/QUndoCommand, but this could be added
> (in kio or at least in applications initially), as a layer on top of the
> undomanager (a bit like I did in koffice-1.x's kotext), rather than being
> done inside the undomanager (I gave it a quick try and this didn't work out
> for konqueror's rather complex undo needs, due to multiple
> windows/processes offering the same undo commands etc).
> One question that remains is whether the kio undo history should be
> kde-global or per-application. I guess the latter makes more sense (if you
> rename a file in an image viewer you shouldn't undo this from konqueror),
> but so we probably need a setting in the undo manager to enable or disable
> the inter-process DBUS synchronization that
> dolphin/konqueror/new-desktop-stuff use.

I think this is a very good idea, although I haven't looked at the code.

To avoid further confusion, I put a new todo on the Feature Plan that
covers any of the classes or widgets listed at [1], since this should be
considered  an addendum to the Feature Plan.

In summary: no objections

[1]
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Widgets_and_Classes