KDED Modules and their DBus Path

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Apr 21 22:15:21 BST 2008

On Monday 21 April 2008, Michael Jansen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a comment on the kded modules and a problem i see. Probably it's only
> in my imagination so i put it up here for comments.
>
> I'm no dbus expert so forgive the most probably wrong wording :-) .
>
> Currently those modules put up their interface under
> org.kde.kded/modules/<modulename> . I think that's not optimal.
>
> Beeing a kded module is an implementation detail that is exposed to the world
> by that usage. Whenever we have to change a module back to a standalone daemon
> we have a problem. Shouldn't kded modules register their Interface under
> org.kde.<module> if they provide an non trivial api for scripters?

You can -also- register those daemons under that name; the dbus registration
is not unique per-process. Just register khotkeys (since I guess this is what this is about :)
as org.kde.khotkeys in the khotkeys code (independently from the automatic registration of the kded module).

One reason for the org.kde.kded /modules/<modulename> naming is that it allows the
autoload feature of kded to work (just make a call to a module and it will be loaded if necessary).