Program icons: generic vs. branded

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Apr 19 23:23:42 BST 2008

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> I find the definition of programs which should use generic icons very
> unprecise. What is a "more advanced" program?

i think that's a qualitative measure and one that's probably somewhat
subjective. it's a sort of common sense guideline, really (and probably
somewhat poorly worded). the "more advanced" bit really applies less to the
capabilities of the application itself and to the functionality gap it fills
in the desktop; so okular is very advanced in several ways but fills
the "generic" space of "document reader"

> And what is the reasoning for generic icon (names) for programs?

so the fact that the apps are different can be treated as an implementation
detail in the user facing UI bits (e.g. application launchers)

> Some programs follow the spec, like Okular (graphics-viewer-document) and
> Ark (utilities-file-archiver), others like KCalc (kcalc) don't. But isn't
> Okular a more advanced program, while KCalc isn't?

kcalc should probably be using the generic icon, really.

> Does KDE follow the spec? How do I find out if e.g. Okteta, the new hex
> editor in kdeutils :) , should use a branded icon or a generic one?

really good question. i personally don't think "hex editor" is a "generic"
problem space from the average user's POV though.

> If the reason for generic icon names are icon themes, well, what about

they are.

> using names like graphics-viewer-document-okular and
> utilities-file-archiver-ark? So if the branded icon is not included in the
> icon theme the fallback will be the generic one?

that's a good idea, actually =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se