KRichTextEdit for kdelibs

Jakub Stachowski qbast at go2.pl
Sat Apr 19 11:57:53 BST 2008

Dnia sobota, 19 kwietnia 2008, Stephen Kelly napisaƂ:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working on a RichTextEdit component for kde. My original idea was
> that it could be reused and extended by applications like kmail, kjots and
> kopete, or any application that uses rich text. I thought that given a
> KPart, an app developer would get the rich text toolbar actions (such as
> bold, italic etc) for free, and just add application specific actions to a
> derived KPart.
>
> After talking with dfaure on irc it seems that's not what KParts are for,
> but I might be able to achieve that with KXMLGUIClient. I'll be looking
> into that if it's possible. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.
>
> My progress so far is in playground now:
>
>  http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/libs/krichtext/
>
> It contains
>
> * a KRichTextEdit, which started of as KMEditor in libkdepim, and I took
> all the mail-type stuff out of it like signatures, quoting and boxing.

Is this enough for mail clients? For example KMail currently is unable to
reply to HTML email without losing original formatting. That unfortunately
forced me to use Thunderbird at work :-(
I wonder if KHTML or QWebKit widget with contentEditable=true would be
possible here.