Skanlite

Jonathan Marten jjm2 at keelhaul.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 13:28:26 BST 2008

Kåre Särs <kare.sars at kolumbus.fi> writes:
> On Tuesday the 8th April 2008 11:58:02 you wrote:
>> > Would libksane need to be moved from extragear to kdereview for a review
>> > cycle before a move to kdegraphics?
>>
>> no ... has there been a final conclusion between you and the kooka dev?
>>

> I tried to mail Jonathan Marten earlier this week, but I haven't heard from
> him yet. The last I have seen/heard from him was his reply to "Glimpse in
> kdereview":

Apologies for the delay in replying, I've been travelling for a while
and could only check mail occasionally.  Have just got back home and
now been able to read the complete thread.

I have briefly looked at libksane, but have not downloaded and tried
out the code yet.  As per my previous messages it looks as if libksane
is definitely the future, since it handles all available SANE options
and also 16-bit images.  As far as I can tell it will definitely be
possible to replace the scanner UI and imaging parts of libkscan by
libksane.  If there is anything missing - i.e. anything in libkscan
which is not in libksane but which is still needed by kooka - then the
available options incude:

  (a) add the equivalent to libksane, if it really belongs there
  (b) take a private copy from libkscan in the kooka application

neither of which are impossible.

libksane, though, uses Qt4/KDE4 classes and includes, which means that
using it will have to wait until the rest of kooka is ported to KDE4.
I'm aiming to do this very soon, along with a reorganisation of the UI
as a necessary part of that, but am not sure how long it will take.

For the moment, though, I'm guessing that libkscan will have to stay
in kdegraphics even if no further development of it is planned - it is
used by koffice and 3.5 kolorpaint, unless these have been
ported/converted already.

Regards, Jonathan

--
Jonathan Marten                         http://www.keelhaul.demon.co.uk