To Backport or not to Backport

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Wed Apr 16 20:20:35 BST 2008

Jeremy Whiting wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I recently possibly hit an issue I'd like to know policy about.  In
> KNewStuff2 library I recently added support to install packages to
> absolutepaths for the author of KGrubEditor http://www.kde-
> apps.org/content/show.php/KGRUBEditor?content=75442 so the dialog can
> install the files directly to /boot/grub or whatever (assuming correct
> permissions,
> etc.)  The "feature" is very small, and he would like me to backport it to
> the
> 4.0 branch.  It doesn't add any new strings, just adds two public methods
> to knewstuff2/core/insallation.h
>
> thoughts, opinions?

May it make sense to have e.g. a switch in the knrc that disallows to install
things outside of saveLocation (disabled per default)? I ask cause some days
back I fixed an issue where icon-theme files are installed into root what can
lead to evil effects if run as root and an install-target like e.g. /vmlinuz
is provided.