Consistency of "dcop" qdbus calls

Helio Chissini de Castro helio at kde.org
Wed Apr 16 15:02:15 BST 2008

Moin people

In preparation to FISL tomorrow, i start to use a lot of hand calls with qdbus
to see how match our previous dcop scripting.

So far, so good, the experience is more than excellent, but i noted one
important thing which is the the lack of consistence on some similar gui
application calls.

We're dealing with things like org.kde.akregator to call akregator instances,
and org.kde.konqueror-<procnumber> for konqueror and org.digikam.digikam-
<procnumber> for digikam.

The logic would point for:
org.kde.akregator
org.kde.konqueror.<procnumber>
org.kde.digikam ( as suspect that we're not suppose to run more than one
digilam on same user account )

So, i propose to unify the spec for applications aimed for consistency and
stepping up to fix all possible applications as soon everyone agrees in that
spec. It can looks like exagerated, but this will make a good develop
recomendation for new application developers.

I will be glad to receive any input against or pro this, since is a delicated
move and need be done right now as 4.1 alphas are arriving.

[]'s Helio