KCU::tint suggested improvements

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 16 03:35:33 BST 2008

I've noticed a few concerns as of late regarding KColorScheme's extended
background colors (mainly from Anders and, honestly, myself ;-) ), so I
decided to take a few minutes to play with it and see if I could make
things better. The attached patch *seriously* reduces the amount of
luma-change of the base color, which seems to result in much more
homogenous tints for a particular base and amount, regardless of the
tint color. This hopefully will provide much more usable behavior with
varying color schemes.

Please review and let me know if it's OK to commit this. CC'ing
usability, as I'd love to hear any thoughts from them on this matter
(which very much relates to u7y/a11y).

Please see trunk/playground/libs/ui/kcolor/tinttest for a demonstration
of the old vs. new algorithms; it should compile with a simple 'cmake
/path/to/source && make' (it is not meant to be 'make install'd; just
run from the build dir).

Anders: if anything this seems to make ActiveBackground in Oxygen scheme
even less obvious :-/, but the contrast with ActiveText is better (the
idea was to address insufficient contrast between FooBackground and
FooText, and also some cases where NormalBackground and FooBackground
have too *much* contrast).

--
Matthew