Skanlite (was Glimpse) and libksane

Kåre Särs kare.sars at kolumbus.fi
Tue Apr 8 09:09:48 BST 2008

On Friday 04 April 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > > * what is the ">>>> 20 Shut of lamp <<<<" thing on the Other Options
> > > tab?
> >
> > You have found a sane option that libksane can't handle :)
>
> ah, ok .. curious: how does one go about making libksane handle it? =) e.g.
> which class(es) would i look into first?

I guess this option could be a handler for a button on the scanner and at the
moment there is no handling for those.
Every option/parameter is a SaneOption object, so I guess sane_option.cpp is a
good start.

> > Maybe I should add debug printout to the terminal and just don't show the
> > option name.
>
> yes, probably a good idea. it doesn't look very polished in the UI.

Done :)

> > > * the layout of the widgets in the tab pages could be nicer, though
> > > that's a bit of a detail item. there isn't a Panes and Frames section
> > > in the hig, but there is this:
> > > http://wiki.openusability.org/guidelines/index.php/Design_and_Layout:La
> > >yo ut
> > >
> > >:Dialogs
> >
> > One thing that makes layout hard here is that I don't know in advance
> > what options are available and their types.
>
> that's fine: use a QGridLayout insert all the labels in column 0 with
> alignment Qt::AlignRight; for all the widgets to the right of the labels,
> make sure each row of them is in their own hboxlayout (with 0 margins) and
> insert that layout into column 1. voila.

Every visible option has it's own frame with a grid layout. I have built an
alignment mechanism where you can read the suggested width of the columns and
then calculate and set a with for the first and third column. This is used in
the LabeledGamma class to align the spinboxes and the sliders.
This mechanism could also be used/extended to the rest of the options, but
then we get a wasted space problem :(

Attached is a screenshoot with the test backend (skanlite -d test). If the
option '(5/6) Bool..' and 'Return-value ..' would have the same width in the
first column, we would get a very wide tab :( (I can't influence the text
more than truncating)

But there is a need to get some alignment :)

Would libksane need to be moved from extragear to kdereview for a review cycle
before a move to kdegraphics?

I have not seen/noticed objections to moving Skanlite to extragear/graphics/.
Is it OK to move it later this week?

--
Kåre Särs