KMessageBox::Dangerous considered harmful ;)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Apr 7 06:54:17 BST 2008

On Sunday 06 April 2008, David Faure wrote:
> I agree with Stefan: having to confirm the confirmation box by clicking on
> a non-default button is too much.

this largely depends on whether or not the action was caused by purposeful
user interaction or not.

if the user does the following:

* select some files
* right click
* select "Delete files" from the menu

and then the dialog pops up, then they probably don't strictly need the
protection.

however, if a dialog pops up automatically from some internal programmatic
event, activating the "go ahead, destroy my data" button is a Bad, Bad
Idea(tm)

in between there is a bit of a grey area: does hitting "ctrl+enter" constitute
enough of a "the user meant it!" buffer to not require the use of the button.

really what we need is not getting rid of Dangerous, but really augmenting it
with "Automatically Generated and Dangerous".

but simply throwing it out the window is a really poor idea. average users are
way too used to just click boxes away with "Ok!".

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se