Skanlite (was Glimpse) and libksane

Kåre Särs kare.sars at kolumbus.fi
Fri Apr 4 21:17:10 BST 2008

On Fridayen den 4 April 2008 21:50:37 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> * "don't show this dialog on startup" should be the default for the opening
> dialog imho
>
> * in fact, i wonder if that introductory dialog needs to be there on start
> at all?

I put the dialog there at start to try to help the user find the autosave
feature, but maybe the manual would be enough :)

> * if you go through the config dialog at start, but don't select a scanner
> (or it couldn't find one) then the settings aren't saved (annoying, if you
> set it up, hit "ok" and then remember you didn't plug in the scanner ;)
Fixed, if the dialog isn't shown on start.

> * the default save location is "./" (i suppose that means "current working
> directory"?). would a saner (haha) default be $HOME?
True

> * it does something similar to kooka which always annoyed me a bit: i have
> only one scanner attached, it is detected, so why ask me which scanner to
> use? ;) attached patch fixes this
I have actually thought about that too, but I just haven't done it before.
Thanks :)

> * there is no standard quit action. another pet peeve of mine. and another
> patch for you to consider is attached.
What is this one for? (no visible change that I noticed)

> * what is the ">>>> 20 Shut of lamp <<<<" thing on the Other Options tab?
You have found a sane option that libksane can't handle :)
Maybe I should add debug printout to the terminal and just don't show the
option name.

> * the layout of the widgets in the tab pages could be nicer, though that's
> a bit of a detail item. there isn't a Panes and Frames section in the hig,
> but there is this:
> http://wiki.openusability.org/guidelines/index.php/Design_and_Layout:Layout
>:Dialogs

One thing that makes layout hard here is that I don't know in advance what
options are available and their types.

> * any though to moving to toolboxes eventually instead?
Why not.

--
Kåre Särs