Skanlite (was Glimpse) and libksane

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Apr 4 19:50:37 BST 2008

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Kåre Särs wrote:
> What is the status of the inclusion of Skanlite and libksane in to
> kdegraphics? What needs to be done to be included into kdegraphics?

some general feedback now that i've actually used the application =)

first impression (once through the start up dialog): nice simple interface
that just lets you get your work done. and only 319 LOC in the app itself.
nice =)

* "don't show this dialog on startup" should be the default for the opening
dialog imho

* in fact, i wonder if that introductory dialog needs to be there on start at
all?

* if you go through the config dialog at start, but don't select a scanner (or
it couldn't find one) then the settings aren't saved (annoying, if you set it
up, hit "ok" and then remember you didn't plug in the scanner ;)

* the default save location is "./" (i suppose that means "current working
directory"?). would a saner (haha) default be $HOME?

* it does something similar to kooka which always annoyed me a bit: i have
only one scanner attached, it is detected, so why ask me which scanner to
use? ;) attached patch fixes this

* there is no standard quit action. another pet peeve of mine. and another
patch for you to consider is attached.

* what is the ">>>> 20 Shut of lamp <<<<" thing on the Other Options tab?

* the layout of the widgets in the tab pages could be nicer, though that's a
bit of a detail item. there isn't a Panes and Frames section in the hig, but
there is this:
http://wiki.openusability.org/guidelines/index.php/Design_and_Layout:Layout:Dialogs

* any though to moving to toolboxes eventually instead?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se