Strigidaemon

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Apr 2 17:09:36 BST 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Randy Kramer wrote:
> The selections of when to index should include options like:
>    * at specified times (which will end up most likely being nights) and dates
> (I wouldn't index all my files every night, for one thing it's unnecessary
> (sp?) wear and tear on the disk drive, as well as unnecessary power use--I
> might index a certain small set of files daily, others I might index monthly
> or less often (or maybe just on demand)
>    * just before shutdown (i.e., an option to start indexing when the user
> calls for a shutdown, and then shutting off the computer when indexing is
> complete)
>    * at startup--I'm almost willing to bet no one will choose this unless you
> make it the default choice, in which case see my last paragraph, below

* while the screensaver is shown.
This is better than shutdown/startup because some computers are never switched off,
or use suspend-to-ram/disk so the actual shutdown/startup sequence never happens.
On the other hand, nobody is working 100% of the time, so the screensaver (or doing
idle-time-detection in the daemon itself, in case no screensaver is configured) is a better
solution from a user point of view (although not from a writing-portable-code point of view).
I didn't invent the idea, I can hear Windows XP working on the harddisk for a long time
once the screensaver shows :)  (could be the anti-virus I guess, but the idea is valid IMHO).