request for moving kdebase/workspace/menu to kdebase/runtime

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Apr 2 14:13:45 BST 2008

David Faure schrieb:
> On Monday 31 March 2008, Sune Vuorela wrote:
>
>> On 2008-03-31, Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> to have full internationalisation support for kdebase-runtime (
>>> khelpcenter) and kdebase-apps (konqueror) applications  it is required
>>> to have the desktopfiles from kdebase/workspace/menu installed.
>>>
>> Why not move it to -apps instead?
>>

>>> This means that kdebase-runtime depends on kdebase-workspace which for
>>> opinion is not a very good solution and should be changed. I request to
>>> move kdebase/workspace/menu to kdebase/runtime/menu.
>>>
>>> Any objectivities ?
>>>
>> As kdebase-runtime so far has been described as the stuff you need to
>> have available to run any kde application, I am against anything added
>> to it.
>>

> On the contrary, if those files are necessary for khelpcenter, which is itself
> necessary to run any kde application, then runtime *is* the right place for
> these runtime dependencies.
>

>> Especially when it is files that conflicts with installing kde4 apps in
>> same prefix as a full kde3.
>>

> That's another problem, which has to be fixed at the packaging level if it
> can't be fixed at the source level, but surely this is NOT a reason against
> moving runtime dependencies where they belong --> in runtime.
>
> Did we really solve 100% of the current kdebase4-runtime vs kdebase3 coinstall
> issues? I'm surprised.
> In /usr/share/desktop-directories/ I see kde-*.directory files. How are they used?

they are referenced by
http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kded/applications.menu
which is used by kbuildsycoca4 to create the menu structure in the
ksycoca database
> Would kde4-* files installed in parallel work?

Just some analysis results: I haven't found any other reference to these
files in kdelibs and kdebase beside the ones in the above mentioned
applications.menu and
http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kded/CmakeLists.txt
says that applications.menu is installed in
${SYSCONF_INSTALL_DIR}/xdg/menus which is by default /etc/xgd/menus and
the .directory files are installed into ${XDG_DIRECTORY_INSTALL_DIR}
which is by default /usr/share/desktop-directories.I would say that the
directory files are only accessed by applications.menu, which would mean
that the answer is yes.

The more important install related question is if the path
/etc/xgd/menus/applications.menu is reserved for KDE4 only -
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-0.9.html#paths says
that this defines the main menu and if other desktop packages provides
such a file it is up to the packager to solve this issue on unix. On
windows there is no problem because these files are for kde only.
> If the kde- prefix is from kded then we can easily make it use kde4 instead,
> but I have no idea how this works with other desktop environments (anyone
> who actually knows the XDG vfolder spec, please comment on this...)
>

>> Now it is left to decide if khelpcenter should work for all supported
>> languages without a dependency to kdebase-workspace or not.
>>

> Obviously yes, since i18n support is a runtime issue for khelpcenter and
> should definitely not require using "the KDE workspace".
>
> The fact that khelpcenter shows the KDE menu layout does mean that
> this "KDE menu layout" stuff moves up to runtime indeed instead of being
> a workspace-thing only.

Could this be moved immediatly or have I to wait for next monday ?

Ralf