Strigidaemon

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 22:25:53 BST 2008

Hi,

> Can't "we" make a popup that is relatively self-explanatory
> and "gentle"?

I think that suggestion is a band-aid to patch over technical problems
with Strigi.

As a general purpose search tool it has a number of problems.  I think
distributions would be hard push to ship it out of the box until they
are fixed.
These are based on the last time I looked at the code a few months ago
so please, correct me if I am wrong on any of these points.

- It is designed for fast indexing over low system impact.
- Designed for manual configuration (instead of Spotlight, Vista's
indexer, Beagle, Tracker etc. which are all configurable to some extent
but are designed to work well with no/minimal setup)
- 3rd party plugins are implemented in native code and correct me if I
am wrong but they run in the strigidaemon process so the daemon cannot
easily control them if they run amok.  Some examples are KOffice Strigi
plugins which tried to parse all XML files they encountered into
QDomDocuments (using vast amounts of memory in the process) and the diff
analyser which is not very efficient.
- Strigi doesn't log its activities so it cannot remember to ignore
files which cause problems or disable plugins which aren't working well.
- The kernel's inotify doesn't really meet the needs of system-wide
indexers.  I know that Apple had to make kernel-level changes to support
Spotlight and I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft did as well.

If you see Strigi not as a general purpose search tool but a replacement
for lucene/updatedb then some of these points don't apply.  The last
point is outside of Strigi as a project but the first few items are very
much in its remit.

Regards,
Robert.