Strigidaemon

Louai Al-Khanji louai.khanji at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 08:48:42 BST 2008

On Monday 31 March 2008 01:43:53 Randy Kramer wrote:
> On Sunday 30 March 2008 12:44 pm, Robert Knight wrote:
> > Please no.  This is 2008 not 1990, I don't expect to have to do a whole
> > load of manual configuration to search my email and lecture notes.
>
> Neither do I--I'm not suggesting a whole lot of manual configuration, just
> a configuration screen that pops up before it starts indexing.  Most
> people, will probably look at it, be happy with the default configuragion,
> and press OK or similar.
>
> Others, who may not know that Strigli exists, will find out when the screen
> pops up on the first startup.
>
> Others, who have reasons to index or not index stuff for various reasons,
> will adjust the configuration accordingly.
>
> Which brings up a question--can strigli be set up to index an encrypted
> partition and store the index on the same encrypted partition?

Having dialogs pop up at unsuspecting users is not very nice. :)  I think most
users will not know what they are configuring, and especially not _why_ they
are configuring it. IMHO it would be better to have a default configuration
that suits most people, and provide a (convenient) way to tailor strigi
settings for power users.

> > If
> > Strigi isn't intended as a general purpose search tool then there isn't
> > a lot of need to tell users about it until they have a folder of files
> > that they want to search.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're saying here, but I don't want Strigli to be
> indexing any of my files until I have a folder of files I want to search.
>
> BTW, I don't put any data files in my home directory except by accident.  I
> reserve ~ for configuration files, since I can't seem to prevent that very
> easily in Linux.
>
> Randy Kramer

Certainly the vast majority of people do keep all or most of their data in
$HOME and subdirs, and I suspect many people will also want to search for
things now and then. Having watched coworkers and friends using macs, with a
good indexer this becomes quite frequent.

--
Louai Al-khanji