workaround for glibc bug

Gary L. Greene Jr. greeneg at tolharadys.net
Fri Sep 28 16:08:04 BST 2007

On Thursday 27 September 2007 11:27:04 pm Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >> We add to KDE 4.0 Release Notes: "if you're on Linux and you're not
> >> using glibc version 2.6.xxx, you might experience freezes. Upgrade."
> >
> >Does this mean I can't run KDE4 (safely)? I have to use my box for
> >development also, and upgrading to libc versions none of our other boxes
> >use isn't necessarily condoned.
>
> No. If you don't upgrade, you will have the option between freezes and
> slowness (LD_BIND_NOW=1).

Updating to a new glibc isn't a trivial task.... That being said, I know that
AltimatOS won't be releasing with 2.6.x, since we're too far along toward
release. additionally doing a check of another distro's tree, looks like
Mandriva 2008.0 will be on 2.6.1 from checking the repo of cooker, which
isn't too far from release either, so this is going to bite at least these
two distributions. since Matthias said that 2.6.91 was needed for the fix.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth.tolharadys.net