application icons on other operating systems too

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Sep 27 08:36:54 BST 2007

Thiago Macieira schrieb:
> Ralf Habacker wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> on win32 application icon are embedded into the executable for which the
>> new macro KDE4_ADD_APP_ICON() is aimed to.
>> My question is if there are other platforms which have the need for such
>> a macro. If no this macro would be renamed to KDE4_ADD_WIN32_APP_ICON()
>> based on a  request from alex Neundorf.
>>

> MacOS X icons are special files inside the bundles as well. They are not
> PNG files.

Which means that KDE4_ADD_APP_ICON()  would make sense as platform
independent macro.

How is this done on MacOS x - on win32 the icons are in the win32 ico
format. The macro KDE4_ADD_APP_ICON()  creates the special icon files
and adds them to the source list of the related target. As source files
png files and svg's may be possible.

The current macro implementation uses an external tool to convert png to
ico (png2ico). Unfortunally the tool is not able to create big vista
icons. Christian Ehrlicher has does some research in this direction and
has brought up an initial implementation of such an converter. If i
remember right he also had implemented some stuff to autodetect
application icons in the source tree.
svg as source files are unsupported yet but may be added if the svg to
png converter located in kdebase would be available in kdelibs.

May be all this conversation stuff could be done by a little helper
tools located in kdelibs ?

Ralf