kdefx removal - status, and a call for final clean-up help

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 27 05:28:25 BST 2007

Ok, first... there are a number of apps relying on kdeui linking to
kdefx, that broke when I removed kdefx from kdeui. I re-added kdefx to
the link libs, but depending on the linking I'm not sure if this will
work. For now, if there are still errors, please add kdefx as a direct
link. Meanwhile, kdelibs and kdebase are kdefx free, koffice has I think
one or two users left, and I count ten or eleven (or less, depending on
how you count) other users left.

I'm out of time this week, so I'll have to do the remaining portage
Monday. Based on the progress I've made the last three nights, I think
this is achievable, so the sdk release (and next beta) will be
kdefx-free and we can finally put kdefx to rest.

BUT... this does not include a number of kwin styles (kde2, laptop,
modernsys, redmond; I already ported plastik and glow). What I'd like to
do tomorrow (or Monday) is disable these from building until they can be
ported, and I would really, *really* appreciate if a few people can step
forward to help so that they are there in the beta. The work is not
difficult, it only takes maybe an hour or two per windeco, if that, but
unfortunately I don't have that much time (I'm gone from tomorrow
evening until Monday).

So, this is a call for help and for opinions what to do about these
windecos which are among the last hold-outs of kdefx usage.

--
Matthew
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information