shadeSortColumn - cruft?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 26 16:23:09 BST 2007

Sebastian Kügler wrote:
>>> Which is not enough.
>> Okay, you've convinced me that we should have this feature.
>> But at this point I think it's better to reintroduce it in 4.1, for
>> the reasons mentioned above.
>
> While I personally also *do* like the shaded column feature, I'd like to
> stress that we should be in _release_mode_. That means getting the basics of
> our desktop [1] working. Besides that, kdelibs is feature frozen.
>
> In my humble opinion, shaded columns do belong in the "nice-to-have" category
> right now, which makes them post-4.0 material. If any piece of the effort
> that would've gone into this could be put into getting 4.0 releasable, that's
> a plus in my books.
>
> [1] http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.0_Release_Beta_Goals

Just to recap... I asked if this feature was still needed. Clearly, the
consensus is that it is, even it it won't work in 4.0. So it stays, we
need to write a few lines (already done I might add) in the kcm... and
sit back and watch the bug reports that it doesn't work :-).

So it's been a pleasant conversation, and yes, let's get back to things
that need to be done *now* ;-). (Meanwhile, any 4.0 or non-release-cycle
apps that do want to use the setting will be still able to access it in
4.0.)

--
Matthew
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information