Permission to break feature freeze for Nepomuk and Soprano

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 25 15:42:10 BST 2007

Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Monday, 3. September 2007, Sebastian TrĂ¼g wrote:
>> The main advantage of all this is: speed.
>
> where are the numbers?

Here:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/45890

>> No more DBus for requesting data.
>> It is now done via tcp (and I would love some tips and help to add support
>> for unix socket communication)
>
> the correct way would be to use dbus for it. Remember that we have to provide
> security support for a service that listens to a tcp socket. Thats horrible.
>
> Given that soprano2 has already been merged, my request apparently comes in
> too late.

Actually as I understand, Sebastian went with DBus after all... and even
at least partly for the reasons you mentioned:

"Anyway, I don't think TCP is the right solution for now as it would
require the introduction of permission handling. And seeing that unix
sockets and DBus (after all, DBus uses unix sockets, too) do not differ
that much it is probably best to stick with the well known, reliable
DBus interface."

--
Matthew
"What, more work?" -- Peasants (Warcraft II)