What makes cmake variables important?

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Sep 18 09:30:43 BST 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 10:30:29PM -0400, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > define_library(resolv dn_expand)
>
> A problem with this is that it is hard for somebody else to figure out what's
> going on. So if you use e.g. SOCKET_LIBRARIES later on, it is not possible to
> find where this variable is set by just searching for this string in the
> cmake files, since the variable name is constructed via string operations in
> the macro.

well, yes. but if it is documented and used throughout, one can figure
out quickly that he has to grep for "\(\s*libname\s".
also, the macro could be "unautomated". the principle of having optional
libs without lots of explicit if()s counts.

on a completely different cmake matter ... how about
SET(CMAKE_ALLOW_LOOSE_LOOP_CONSTRUCTS true) ?