AW: [Kde-print-devel] Status of KDEprint in 4.0, and offer of help

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Mon Sep 17 17:44:04 BST 2007

On Thursday 06 September 2007, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dijous 06 Setembre 2007, John Layt va escriure:
> > In some quiet moments at work today I was mulling over the situation and
> > bashed out a few thoughts on KDEPrint vs QPrinter, then I come home to a
> > thread looking in that direction too...
> >
> > [What follows is random, uninformed speculation from someone floundering
> > in the deep end. For all I know, I could be sprouting total rubarb, so
> > don't quote me!]
> >
> > The big question is, will KDEPrint be in an acceptable state, not just
> > for users in 4.0, but architecturally for the entire KDE4 life of 3-5
> > years?
>
> You can always write KDEPrint2 an introduce it in KDE 4.1 and declare
> KDEPrint "deprecated", but still supported.
>
> IMO removing KDEPrint is out of question.

I'd go the other way around that.

In KDE 4.0, have KDEPrintHack, or KDEPrintOld or whatnot. It'll be just that:
a hack that's enough to make people's lives tolerable, and only enough
changes to KDE3's KDEPrint to make it work.

For KDE 4.1, there's hopefully enough time to tweak the architecture into the
useable state, and release KDEPrint which would stay with us for remainder of
4.x (hopefully long time to come).

Cheers, Kuba