Temporary KColorScheme change - hard-code some state colors

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Sep 16 18:04:00 BST 2007

On 16.09.07 18:45:33, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On 9/16/07, Luciano Montanaro <mikelima at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Il Sunday 16 September 2007 12:52:03 Jos Poortvliet ha scritto:
> > > In many cases, not much
> > > would change, nothing if you go from one full-screen window to
> > > another, and if you have several visible, only the one you switch from
> > > to another will change (and the one becoming active, of course).
> >
> > Not really. See above. That may be what the intended effect is, but it's not
> > what happens in reality.
> >
> > The problem is that it happens regardless of the theme in use, so people
> > cannot just switch theme to be able to ignore the problem.
>
> Look, it's lovely to see what's wrong with it now. But more important
> is: can it be fixed? Is it possible to only change some widgets (eg
> scrollbars) and not have everything redraw at heavy cpu and bandwith
> cost? Technically?

I don't know the answer to that. What I do know is that doing a focus
switch between two apps in kde4 from yesterday afternoon takes 3 seconds
99% CPU power and all difference I can see is light-gray text instead of
black. And thats just a no-go-ratio, IMHO. And I'm not sure just
repainting scrollbars and maybe radio/push buttons is difference enough
for inactive vs. active.

> > > If
> > > this helps usability (and that's the reason we do this), I'd say it's
> > > a small price to pay.
> >
> > But does it help usability? Are usability experts reviewed the design for
> > pitfall or usability problems?
>
> Being able to see which window is active seems pretty important to me.
> We can't change the color of the window decoration anymore, as that
> would visually really suck. The theme simply isn't made for that. So
> we can do something else (which Matthew here is trying) or rewrite
> Oxygen again.

I'm starting to think that maybe the Oxygen design in its current form
doesn't play with the technical limitations we have. So maybe a redesign
is needed (yes that sucks, because it means that we won't have oxygen in
4.0 and that the designers would throw away a lot of work).

> > The problem is that I see a great emphasis on the look, but technical hurdles
> > or usability problems seem of no concern to the style developers. I hope I'm
> > wrong.
>
> Well, if it isn't possible, the artists can't do much about it - and
> if it's hard, they need developers help them, fix it. How can they
> know how hard this is, technically? I know I can't... It seems not to
> difficult to me, but hey, I have trouble with HTML. And don't say
> Pinheiro doesn't listen, he tried to make different mockups etc
> already.

Yeah, it seems that developers weren't involved early enough in the
oxygen design process and it also seems we're lacking style developers
all around.

Andreas

--
Advancement in position.