Temporary KColorScheme change - hard-code some state colors

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 11:52:03 BST 2007

On 9/15/07, Luciano Montanaro <mikelima at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm not that opposed to what happens in my current build: the text and
> > widgets become more gray, but the background stays the same.
> > - the window doesn't flash
> > - the window is still readable
> > - yet it is clear which window is active and which is not
> >
> > Now, who can tell me what is wrong with that?
>
> What's wrong is that large parts of the screen have to be redrawn for no real
> good reason...
>
> That means that
> - Laptops will use more power
> - Network sessions will be even more sluggish
> - Slower machines will perform badly
>
> In the end, it would give substance to the bloated KDE meme.

Do you have any idea how substantial this is? I mean, Mac OS X does
it, is that the reason Mac OS X is so slow? In many cases, not much
would change, nothing if you go from one full-screen window to
another, and if you have several visible, only the one you switch from
to another will change (and the one becoming active, of course). If
this helps usability (and that's the reason we do this), I'd say it's
a small price to pay.