Consider me sceptical if we rely on Trolltech's qprinter only, and if we do that long-term (was: "KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting")

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Sep 14 22:27:29 BST 2007

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>But how long will TT devote resources into this? They may leave it
>bit-rotting as soon as it "somehow" works. As they did with the rest
>of the "print stuff" support in their toolkit since KDE 1.0 was relea-
>sed...

You said it yourself: printing isn't sexy. Yes. And people don't print
that much anymore.

It is a low-priority feature compared to other big-shots like Graphics
View, Network or XML.

But it's also a very low-maintenance one. KDEPrint has gone basically
without changes other than bugfixes here and there for 3-4 years. Why do
you suddenly expect there to be a lot of work in the next 2-3 years? Past
experience shows that it is not the case.

I give you a couple of reasons why we should go on this track:
1) it's the only realistic option. But even with that aside:

2) less duplication of efforts. We won't need to keep adding all the
latest features in QPrinter and the KDE equivalent, as well as the
dialogs. For all platforms.

3) Trolltech is a radically different company compared to 10 years ago.
The engineering department is much, much larger. And growing at a fast
pace.

4) There's no reason why community-contributed code as well as feature
requests can't be added. Remember that KDE is the most proeminent user of
Qt. If Qt's printing system was sub-par so far, maybe it was because KDE
wasn't using it? (therefore, less exposure; therefore, less feature
requests, etc.)

5) The Printing System is in our roadmap. And when I say that, it means we
want to have a good printing system and we will dedicate the resources to
doing it.
(No, I'm not saying TT will dedicate someone to doing every whim the KDE
community asks for)

We had the very same discussion two years ago on QtNetwork and KNetwork. I
was the one arguing for KNetwork. In the end, two things convinced me for
the other side, and that happened after my starting at Trolltech:

- the incredible mess that supporting a huge amount of platforms is,
especially Windows's broken idea of sockets
- the amount of time required to maintain such an API -- I couldn't do it
on my own

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358