KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Sep 14 21:55:17 BST 2007

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday 14 September 2007 21:24:13 Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>> Maybe I should explain by giving some examples (from memory -- sorry,
>> don't have a working KDE system around here right now):
>>

>>  kprinter /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps
>
> kprinter is an entire application. It can do whatever it wants, including be a
> completely different dialog.
>
> I think that if you want to have a PDF printer, configure your CUPS to do
> that. That's how you would do it in another OS.

That's a lame argument.

First, you don't seem to know that kprinter's "Print to PDF"-support
does work completely independently from CUPS. And it has a dialog to
set up "driver parameters". You don't seem to know it.

Second, why did you pick to only reply to one of the 4 examples I gave
you, when you asked to explain when the KDE print dialog was useful
for non-KDE applications?

Third, the beauty of it was that the PDF printer was just there, and
it "just worked". No need to "configure your CUPS" (and do *you* know
how to do that?, do most users know how to do that??). And "you would
do it in another OS" with lots of more pain before it would work. In
KDE3 it worked out of the box, independent of CUPS, or LPRng, or LPD
-- and you know want to advice users to configure their CUPS to do
it for them to replace functionality that KDE4 looses?

Fourth, why don't you advice me (or other users) to "configure your
computer to use a another OS" once there is a feature that you don't
want to support?

It was a *completely* lame argument in the context.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS