Will there be a standalone "kprinter4" dialog in KDE4? (was: Re: KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Sep 14 21:57:01 BST 2007

On Friday 14 September 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Friday 14 September 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> >> As most of you are aware (or are you not?), a big chunk of the useful-
> >> ness of kprinter in KDE3 stems from the fact that you could run it as
> >> a standalone app.
> >
> > Any KDE application can use the printing system available in kdelibs,
> > even a commandline application,
> >
> > Based on the general use case, I think it might best be done through a
> > special mode for Okular.
> > It can read/import loads of formats and it will support printing anyway.
> > Probably mostly a question of adding reading from stdin and going right
> > into print mode.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand your first paragraph. Especially not in the
> context of the one you quoted.

You were asking about the kprinter commandline application and a possible
successor in a KDE4 context.
If it was possible in KDE3 to read data from a file or stdin and print it
through KDE's printing system, I see no technical reason why this should not
be possible with KDE4

> I also don't comprehend your second one. Nor your third.

Since the application's job is to read data and potentially make it printable,
I thought of the multi-format support in Okular, i.e. an application based on
the same "engine" or even Okular itself, could read the data as kprinter used
to do and, potentially after re-formating/drawing/re-coding it, print it.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring