KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Sep 14 19:54:09 BST 2007

On Friday 14 September 2007 20:28:44 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Divendres 14 Setembre 2007, Thiago Macieira va escriure:
> > On Friday 14 September 2007 19:55:37 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > A Divendres 14 Setembre 2007, Thiago Macieira va escriure:

> > > That is completely unacceptable in my opinion.
> >
> > Then somebody had better write an alternative. And fast.
>
> Well i remember Alex saying in the IRC meeting print preview was
> trivial to add

My impression was slightly different, there is a log of the chat here;
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDEPrint/Meeting_2007_09_12

> basically you just need to get the QPrinter to print to ps/pdf and pass
> it to okularpart. I don't really know what has changed since then but i
> don't have the time to do code a print preview.

Yeah, a lot of text has been written on this subject by now; individual
trees get lost in the forrest :)
What has changed can be read best here;
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=118969448014017&w=2

> Just stating that this regression is going to make KDE 4.0 suck more
> than i as a user would tolerate.

Point taken, I'm absolutely sure that a more users feel like you do. I too
feel bad that this subject has been dormant for years now. At the same
time I am very happy that with me working so close with the relevant
Trolls that we actually have a road plan now.
Which is a HUGE step forward for that same end user.

As they say; you have to break some eggs to make an omelet.
--
Thomas Zander