Temporary KColorScheme change - hard-code some state colors

Richard Dale richard_dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 18:57:01 BST 2007

On Friday 14 September 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Richard Dale wrote:
> > I assume if is for showing whether or not the widgets within a window are
> > active or inactive.
>
> Right. Widgets are inactive if the window is inactive.
>
> > If you use it for entire windows, with only one window ever active, you
> > are making the entire UI modal.
>
> Huh? This has been the way WM's worked for the last, oh... at least two
> decades. I fail to see how only ever having one active window "makes the
> entire UI modal".
To the best of my knowledge no major windowing interface has ever had anything
other than the title bar changed to show when a window is inactive, never the
window contents. If the colors are only correct for the active window, you
have a modal interface because all the other windows and their color values
are second class citizens.

> > At the very least it should be optional, and not the default option.
>
> As indicated in the orignal thread, this will be configurable (and, as
> of five minutes ago, it is). What should be the default is a question I
> think is better decided by the artists and usability people.
Well, they should certainly have an important say, but there are technical
implications involved in making changes like this, and technical people need
to be involved just as much.

> > In addition, what is the meaning of 'Temporary' in the title of this
> > thread?
>
> It means that the hard-coding was temporary. It is now config-based; you
> can edit your config (and eventually, use the colors kcm) to make it do
> a whole bunch of things, including nothing at all.
OK, that's good news.

-- Richard