KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 12:54:56 BST 2007

On Thursday 13 Sep 2007, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 13. September 2007 schrieb Alex Merry:
> > The only
> > thing we'd lose in the long run from not having our own KPrinter
> > class should be arbitrary page selection from with the printing
> > dialog (it's still possible from within the application - such as
> > checkboxes on a page thumbnail view: there's a "selection" option
> > in the print dialog).

> One certainly could issue separate print jobs for each range, but
> then they have to perform state tracking. Therefore, I ask to keep in
> mind not to fully exclude the possibility of enabling range selection
> in a later release when designing the interface.

If we use QPrintDialog, we can't do this without Qt implementing it,
which I'm not sure TT would be willing to do for compatibility reasons
(although they could, I suppose, implement it in the QPrintEngines...)

If we were to have it, we'd have to create our own dialog (and therefore
lose several advantages provided by using QPrintDialog) and wrap
QPrinter.

Alex

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org