KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 12:47:51 BST 2007

On Friday 14 Sep 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> John Layt wrote:
> > Custom Margins:
> > ===============
> > Unique KDE feature to set custom margins for the print job.  This
> > is not the document margins you find in KWord, but defining the
> > print area on the page that the document will be painted into and
> > scaled to fit.  (??? Not sure, I don't think anyone besides Kurt is
> > 100% clear on this :-)
>
> First of all (and initially in KDEPrint's development), this GUI
> control was simply the frontend to passing to CUPS the commandline
> option (for example):
>
>   -o page-top=11 -o page-bottom=12 -o page-left=13 -o page-right=14
>
> Nothing more. CUPS supports this only for text and image printing
> (i.e. when CUPS receives the job as a text or image file, not
> PostScript or else). Later, some applications (like KHTML and Kate)
> took advantage of this, and read the setting from the kprinter
> dialog, and in turn adapted the PS output they generate for printing
> by honoring the setting.

In which case, it sounds like a feature applications should be adding to
the dialog box by adding in a tab, rather than something kde print
should deal with.  We don't want an option that may or may not be
honoured, depending on how the application happens to send the data.

Alex

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org
Ubuntu/Kubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.org http://www.kubuntu.org