Future of KPrinter

John Layt johnlayt at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 13 23:06:27 BST 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007, Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> If the filters are about to disappear, will the QPrinter class be able to
> handle booklet/pamphlet printing internally ? It would be a shame if that
> would not be possible any more in the normal printing workflow

Thomas mentioned that he may be able to convince Qt to add support for
post-filtering (which is what booklets use), but pre-filtering appears a
no-go (and no-one has pointed out a use-case yet).

The problem isn't adding filtering to the print system, which Qt could do on
any platform, its that almost all our filters depend on the internal file
format being postscript, which is not true on Win.  I'm not clear on whether
QPrinter even supports ps workflows internally on *nix.

However, that said, I don't see any reason why we should loose a great feature
under *nix just because the win guys can't do it.  We have to give them an
incentive to switch :-).

If QPrinter adds support for filtering, and can use ps internally on *nix, or
someone comes up with a way of filtering cross-platform, then we can tailor
the platform dialogs appropriately to show only what they support on that
platform.  We may loose it short term, but hopefully regain it later.

John.