KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Thu Sep 13 20:39:14 BST 2007

Am Donnerstag, 13. September 2007 schrieb Alex Merry:
> The only
> thing we'd lose in the long run from not having our own KPrinter class
> should be arbitrary page selection from with the printing dialog (it's
> still possible from within the application - such as checkboxes on a
> page thumbnail view: there's a "selection" option in the print dialog).

I think the current direction is right. But this paragraph scares me. It
effectively means that virtually no application will support page ranges any
more. For page-oriented applications (kword, okular, kghostview) it means
those have to provide a different interface that has yet to be discovered by
the user. The kghostview interface is suitable for picking single pages, but
the interface is awkward if you wanted to select, e. g., 1-50, 100-250,
270-310, 350-375, 425-505.

One certainly could issue separate print jobs for each range, but then they
have to perform state tracking. Therefore, I ask to keep in mind not to fully
exclude the possibility of enabling range selection in a later release when
designing the interface.

mfg
	Leo