Future of KPrinter

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sun Sep 9 18:52:33 BST 2007

In a way I did that already, when I wrote:

>> If you want to get a glimpse, look at all the "WhatsThis?" help hints in
>> kprinter. (Last time I looked they were not present in KDE4's kprinter
>> -- not sure if they all were scrapped during the port, or just disabled.
>> So, to see them, use kprinter from KDE3).

and:

>> They'll show you also in most cases which CUPS commandline print option
>> a specific GUI control in kprinter maps to.
>>
>> The "Properties" button in the Qt assistant's print dialog displays the
>> same thing that the "Drivers" tab in kprinter provides: it reads the
>> PPD from CUPS and displays the user-selectable options.
>>
>> The "General", "Text", "Images" and "HP/GL2" tabs are there because they
>> provide support for features that are in CUPS.
>>
>> Most the content from the "expandable" part of the frontup kprinter dialog
>> (Copies, Advanced Options, Additional Tags) is there, because it provides
>> support for features that are in CUPS.
>>
>> Most the content from what comes up behind the "System Options" button is
>> there, because support for CUPS...

I'm not sure what other, better, faster, more efficient way there is to
describe it?

If you tell me in what form it could be presented for your efficient and
fast consumption, I'd even take a day off in the middle or end of next
week, sit down and write it up. If it helps...

> So, relax,[1] let us surprise you. :-)
>
> 1) a big shiny Don't Panic in friendly letters appears right here.
Thanks. :-)
I'm feeling better now, honest.

-- Kurt Pfeifle System & Network Printing Consultant ----
Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS Infotec Deutschland GmbH
..................... Hedelfinger Strasse 58 A RICOH Company
........................... D-70327 Stuttgart/Germany