Future of KPrinter

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Sep 9 00:03:49 BST 2007

On Saturday 08 Sep 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> So the discussion seems, for me, seems to go in "gain me a bit better
> support from Qt in order to talk to the applications -- the other
> side to- wards the print system we don't care much for now (we don't
> understand it anyway)".
>
> If you throw out KDEPrint's current capabilities in favor of Qt
> Assistant- like printing, KDE4 is toast in server-based computing
> environments, as compared to KDE3, and not only there....

Fair enough.

I'm going to spend tomorrow looking through the kdeprint internals to
try and get to grips with the workflow in there.  And maybe the next
couple of days as well :-P.  I'd still like to inherit QPrinter if we
can (and I think we can).

Hopefully John and I (with much prodding of other developers, I suspect)
can get a stable, kind-of-working interface by next Monday, which gives
us 2 and a half weeks to sort out the wrinkles.  Or maybe that's
optimistic.  We'll see.

Alex

PS: since no-one seems to be using #kde-brainstorming, I think I might
commandeer that channel for the kdeprint work.  Seems appropriate at
this point.  I'll be hanging around on it when I'm at my computer.

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org
Ubuntu/Kubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.org http://www.kubuntu.org