Future of KPrinter

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sat Sep 8 23:57:51 BST 2007

Thomas Zander wrote:

> The applications that benefit from setting margins are the ones that don't
> know the concept of pages in their document.  So in the printer dialog we
> select a page size and that page size is then used as a content size to
> print in.
> From the application point of view the content size is the page size minus
> the margins.
> From the application POV the user entering the margins, or reading them
> >from cups makes no difference at all.
>
> Do note that an application like KWord will ignore any margin settings in
> the printer dialog, since it has them specified in the document already.

Right -- but the margins defined by the author of the document may be
wanted to be overridden by the one who prints it. (This should not, of
course change any line- or page-breaks, and not any layout relations
within the page elements, but it should allow for scaling up or down
the page image to different page sizes and margins, as needed or
wanted). Again, this is a case where one needs to keep the complete
picture in mind, the complete printing process (from document creation
until the printout lays in an output tray -- all the steps and inter-
actions).

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS