Future of KPrinter

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Sep 8 23:27:59 BST 2007

On Saturday 08 September 2007 22:32:16 Alex Merry wrote:
> I'm not sure what applications are currently setting the margins for -
> possibly just to change the co-ordinate system.  However, you can do
> this using QPainter::translate().

The applications that benefit from setting margins are the ones that don't
know the concept of pages in their document.  So in the printer dialog we
select a page size and that page size is then used as a content size to
print in.
From the application point of view the content size is the page size minus
the margins.
From the application POV the user entering the margins, or reading them
from cups makes no difference at all.

Do note that an application like KWord will ignore any margin settings in
the printer dialog, since it has them specified in the document already.

--
Thomas Zander