File dialog: preview widget

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Sat Sep 8 08:51:23 BST 2007

Hi Andreas,

On Saturday, 8. September 2007 02:03, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> On Friday 07 September 2007 23:13:25 Peter Penz wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > David Faure suggested to move the "file dialog: preview widget" thread
> > [1] from kfm-devel to kde-core-devel for getting more feedback. Here is
> > the summary of the initial question:
[...]
> > Any further input or objections?
>
> Good idea. One thing to keep in mind is that the changing geometry when
> hiding/showing the preview pane will change the items' layout. Some extra
> code and thought is needed to keep displaying what the user wants to see -
> always keep selected items visible (?) and/or keep the (previously) first
> visible item the same or in the first row if mathematics make that
> impossible. This is probably reusable and ready from the itemviews or the
> Dolphin views.

Yes, this should be no problem. I'll fix this until Monday.

> Oh, and splitters... they are always too small to see/grab and too large
> for aesthetics and space saving. Not that I have a better idea :(. How
> would you want to implement the show/hide GUI?

I'm not sure honestly speaking. From my point of view we have 3 options:
a) leave the preview-action as part of the settings menu (F11) like it is done
now
b) move the preview-action into the toolbar
c) use a QDock for the preview widget, so that closing can be done by the [x]

Option b) and c) could be combined.  In comparison to other file-dialogs the
KDE file-dialog has already quite a lot of toolbar buttons, hence  I have
doubts that option b) makes it better.

In the default configuration of the file-dialog no preview is shown anyway. So
if the user wants to have a preview, he must use the settings-menu and
activate it. I think this was never a real problem yet, so I would just go
for option a) and leave it as it is.

Thanks for your response!
Peter

[...]