AW: [Kde-print-devel] Status of KDEprint in 4.0, and offer of help

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Sep 6 15:51:25 BST 2007

Ralf Habacker schrieb:
> Tom Albers schrieb:
>> At Thursday 06 September 2007 11:22, you wrote:
>>
>>> One missing point:
>>>
>>> KPrintDialogPage does not now anything about windows printer, so
>>> people may think that using QPrintDialog would help.
>>> This helps to be able to select windows printers and all the other
>>> stuff like page selecting, page format and so on, but does not
>>> support application specific printer dialog extending (like umbrello
>>> does for diagram selecting) because QPrintDialog on win32 uses the
>>> native Printing Dialog  (PRINTDLG Api function).
>>>

>> Hi,
>> Which raises the question: do win32 users not see a native dialog
>> with the current print setup?
>>
> no, the kde provides pint setup page is displayed.
>> I'm still not convinced we should not use QPrintDialog, it would save
>> us a lot of problems in the future.
> May me my statement was a little unclear: QPrintDialog would be a good
> choice, but it lacks a few features recent KDE printing api provides.
> Using QPrintDialog on win32 requires to rewrite the native Print
> Dialog because probably it will not be possible to extend the native
> print Dialog or does anyone see such a way ?
It looks that there is a way to extend a native PrintDialog.There is a
similar function named PrintDlgEx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms646942.aspx,  which says

"The *PrintDlgEx* function displays a *Print* property sheet that
enables the user to specify the properties of a particular print job. A
*Print* property sheet has a *General* page containing controls similar
to the *Print* dialog box. The property sheet can also have additional
application-specific and driver-specific property pages following the
*General* page."

Especially the "application-specific property pages" feature seems to be
the required way. More informations about the customizing could be found
on http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms646966.aspx.

To implement such support the win32 implementation of QPrintDialog has
to be extended.

Ralf