Printing in KDE4 (Was: Fwd: Re: Requesting feature freeze exemption for Gwenview)

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Sep 5 00:46:29 BST 2007

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo schrieb:
>> On Monday 03 September 2007, Christopher Blauvelt wrote:
>>> Ditto
>>
>> ok, so step 0 would seem to be this: go through the printing system
>> in trunk/kdelibs/ by testing each of the features in the UI and
>> cataloging which do not work properly ... i'm sure we'll have a
>> collection of user interface errors, cups integration problems (esp
>> with the newest version?), porting bungles ...
>>
>> if the printing experience Work(tm) from the perspective of a user,
>> we should be ok for 4.0 ... this would also, i would imagine, be a
>> great way to get more aware of what the printing system in kde is
>> capable of. i also know that Kurt has a pretty complete knowledge of
>> things there, so he may be a good source of feature related guidance?
>
> I can also offer you (and anybody else) this:
>
>   ======================================================================
>   *Tomorrow* evening I'll boot into a Live CD, and write a script or two
>   that you can use as a CUPS backend ("2file" and/or "2dir"). These can
>   then be used to test PostScript printing without actually having a
>   printer installed. (We can savely assume that KDEPrint will work with
>   non-PostScript printers too, once it works with PS ones -- and if it
>   doesn't, there is a non-KDE problem with the printer driver...)

Done.

Results are here:

   http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDEPrint/Tools%2BUtilities

Now let's see if anyone picks it up, or if it will be bit-rotting there,
just like KDEPrint in the last few years.

Let me know about bugs, or any other comments you may have.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS