Permission to break feature freeze for Nepomuk and Soprano

Sebastian Trüg strueg at mandriva.com
Mon Sep 3 17:04:32 BST 2007

On Monday 03 September 2007 17:23:35 Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2007, at 8:43 AM, Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > there has been a long silence around Nepomuk. Well, the main reason
> > is that I
> > was working heaviliy on Soprano2 [1]. It comes with a bunch of new
> > features,
> > a much cleaner API, a server/client architecture (quite simple but
> > waaaay
> > faster than DBus), and I intend to replace the Nepomuk middleware
> > with it. I
> > already did it locally and a commit "should" not break anything
> > once Soprano2
> > is copied to kdesupport.
> >
> > The main advantage of all this is: speed. No more DBus for
> > requesting data. It
> > is now done via tcp (and I would love some tips and help to add
> > support for
> > unix socket communication)
> >
> > If there are no objections until this evening I will proceed (I
> > know it is
> > short notice but I don't think it is such a big deal yet.)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Sebastian
> >
> > [1] branches/work/sorano2
>
> What is the impact of this change? If you've done the change locally,
> can you provide a diffstat and the summary of the changes?

The changes are threefold:
1. Soprano in kdesupport is replaced 100% by Soprano2. Soprano 1 and 2 are
neither binary or source compatible. Soprano2 introduces (among other) the
sopranoserver and client libs which are needed by nepomuk in 2 and 3.

2. kdelibs/nepomuk: only internal changes which now use sopranoclient instead
of the nepomuk middleware lib to access the data store. The API does not
change except for one method in ResourceManager which returns a
Soprano::Model instead of the middleware registry.

3. kdebase/runtime/nepomuk: For now an aditional dependancy on sopranoserver.
I am planning to drop the dbus interface (base on the nepomuk middleware)
later.

I hope this helps.

> You say it has a much cleaner API.

Yes, Soprano2 has a much cleaner API than Soprano1. At least that is my
opinion. :)

Cheers,
Sebastian